Election to Municipalities
Kerala Municipality Act,1994
68. Elections to Municipalities.—
The superintendence, direction and control of the preparation of electoral rolls, for, and the conduct of, all elections to the Municipalities shall vest in the State Election Commission.
69. Division of Municipalities into wards for election, reservation etc.—
(1) For the purpose of election of Councillors to Municipalities, the Delimitation Commission constituted by Government under sub section (1) of Section 10 of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act,1994 shall, after previous publication of the proposals inviting objections or suggestions, if any and after considering f he same, divide the Municipalities into as many wards as there are number of seats as notified under section 6 6[and determine the boundaries thereof]: Provided that the population of each ward in a Municipality shall, as far as practicable, be equal.
(2) Copies of the proposals published and final orders issued under sub-section(l) shall be published by affixing copies thereof on the notice board of the office of the Municipality concerned, and in such conspicuous places within the concerned municipal area. The fact of such publication shall be published in the Gazette and in two local newspapers having wide circulation within the municipal area concerned.
(2A) Every order issued by the Delimitation Commission with regard to the division of wards and the determinetion of their boundaries under this section shall be published in the Gazette and it shall have the force of law.
(3) Only one Councillor shall be elected for each ward and election shall be by secret ballot.
(4) A person whose name has been included in the electoral roll of a ward shall be entitled to vote in an election to that ward.
(5) No delimitation of wards or change of wards for the purpose of reservation shall be made in a Municipality after its constitution except for the purpose of general election to that Municipality and no such delimitation or change of wards shall, in any manner, affect the
70.Validity of delimitation etc.—
The validity of any law relating to the delimitation of wards or allotment of seats to such wards shall not be called in question in any court.